14 Aug Canon EOS 70D
About a month ago, Canon released information about the newest in its line of DSLR cameras, the EOS 70D. They describe it as a ‘game changer’ and those who have moved to DSLR to shoot video would probably agree when they review some of the improved features. I’ve embedded a sample video below directly from Canon as well as a list of the camera’s features. Which items from the long list mean the most to me? Without a doubt, my top 3 would be . . .
1) A precise autofocus similar to that of a camcorder (perhaps the greatest challenge of using DSLR cameras today)
2) A touch screen LCD that not only allows you to choose an autofocus point from 19 different spots but also provides very similar functionality that you’d find using a touch screen on your smart phone
3) Wireless technology that will allow you to wireless send photos directly to printers, upload through Social Media, AND CONTROL YOUR CAMERA WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE! (how cool is that!)
For those enthusiasts, this is a big deal, and for the casual user, still within a reasonable price point. The new camera releases in September so check out the video and details below 🙂
- Canon’s innovative Dual Pixel CMOS AF enables you to shoot video like a camcorder with smooth, fast, and accurate autofocus; lets you enjoy instant and precise autofocus even when shooting stills from a variety of angles with the freedom provided by the Vari-angle LCD; and provides amazing autofocus power with 103◊ compatible Canon EF lenses when shooting photos or video.
- Built-in wireless technology allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY#, share your images with wireless-enabled Canon cameras, or upload virtually anywhere on your iOS® or AndroidTM smartphone* with the free download of the EOS Remote app**. Use your smartphone for remote camera control and operation (with the EOS Remote app), or even print your images on a wireless PictBridge certified printer.
- 20.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, ISO 100-12800 (expandable to H: 25600) for shooting from bright to dim light and high performance DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for exceptional image quality and processing speed.
- High speed continuous shooting up to 7.0 fps allows you to capture quick action
- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for improved continuous focus tracking of moving subjects, manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 30p (29.97) / 25p), built-in stereo microphone, manual audio level adjustment with attenuator function to reduce audio clipping, and Video Snapshot with editing for expanded movie shooting options.
- Vari-angle Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive experience, flexible positioning, and clear viewing even when outdoors in sunlight.
- 19-point all cross-type AF system (including a high-precision f/2.8 dual cross-type AF center point) with a wide area array for exceptional autofocus performance and greater compositional freedom when shooting with the viewfinder.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with superimposed LCD display provides approximately 98% field of view, and Multi-Aspect ratio in Live View broadens your choices in composition.
- Expand your creativity with advanced in-camera imaging features like High Dynamic Range, Multiple Exposure, Handheld Night Scene and HDR Backlight Control, along with seven Creative Filters that can be displayed in real time during Live View shooting.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode delivers expertly optimized photos and offers improved scene detection for amazing results when shooting at night.